Sunday, September 28, 2008

Settle in...

We took my baby sister out drinking last night to celebrate her upcoming wedding. I must admit I had been dreading that night for weeks, ever since I reluctantly agreed to go out with her.

I don't go out. Ever.

Okay, so I'm exaggerating a bit, but really, the bar scene was never my thing. I may very well be one of the most socially awkward people you'll ever know and I don't deal with crowds well, so being in a bar is basically hell for me. We wound up at the Fuze Box which was my former home away from home (back when it was the QE2) and the memories I have of that place and of those years are so good. Well, most of them. I managed to bump into some old friends, some of whom I hadn't seen since the QE2 days. Good times. We had fun and although I was seemingly the only sober person in downtown Albany, I managed to make it through with the help of a few friends (thanks Dave and Kate!!!) who hung out with me while my sister, aunt and their friends danced like maniacs. Oh yeah, it was 80's night.

Anyway, looking back on our little outing, I've had few revelations that are now quite clear to me:

#1. Someone called my sister a MILF last night, and while we laughed about it when the conversation was going on, it's absolutely true. She is a MILF. Her soon-to-be husband should be proud to marry this girl.

#2. I now feel completely justified in wanting to punch people out when they talk about wanting to relive their youth. Watching some of the college kids out and about last night made me realize that all of the people who have called me an "old soul" my entire life were probably right. I feel like an old fart who yells at kids to pull up their pants and turn the music down. I guess I'll never understand. Hell, I didn't understand youth back when I was, well, youthful.

#3. Big shocker, I hate bars. No matter how hard I try I just can't do it. I'll try again, of course, the next time someone gets married or friends come to visit from out of town, so don't be surprised when you read another post in the future that sounds a hell of a lot like this one.

#4. I need to come up with a new hobby in my spare time in order to have an excuse to go out and do more. I'm home entirely too much and I know that the only way to get over that bizarre social anxiety is to just jump in and get over it.

So that's that. I'm glad I went. I'm glad it's over.

In other news...

Dexter started up again this evening and I'm so excited I could scream. By far the best show on television. For me, I need nothing more than Dexter, Project Runway and Weeds, although Mike and I are currently frantically catching up on old episodes of Weeds in time to watch Season Four on Showtime before it vanishes. Good stuff.

Anyway, if you haven't watched Dexter yet, or if you're unfamiliar, please look into it. You'll thank me for it, I promise.

7 comments:

Mare said...

I think you got that dislike of bars from me...Maybe it's genetic?
Yay Dexter! She's right! Watch it! I am waiting for season 2 to be delivered via Netflix....Can't wait....

nicole. said...

I was quite a party girl for a decent part of my 20s, but I am now truly a homebody. I know this because I become giddy over a new recipe that I can't wait to try and I find myself spending more money on PJs and loungey stuff than high heels! I even feel uncomfortable and awkward in bars now -- especially when I run into someone I haven't seen in years; and they're drunk -- really drunk. Anyway..I love that picture of you and Carly!

Good Girls Studio said...

I haven't been to a bar in ages...but I used to pretty much live in one for the majority of my 20's. I have panic attacks when go to them now...too many people, too hot & whenever I'm out I'm always thinking that I'm a mom now & shouldn't be at a bar. It is the best for people watching though :)

Jaimee said...

Oh my goodness, just wait until Murray reads this...She'll completely agree the three of us should be best friends. I seriously could've writen that post myself!

Kate said...

Oh man, I'm so glad I'm not alone. I know I've lost out on certain friends because of this whole issue.

Jaimee said...

Oh, me too but the whole "Friend thing" is over-rated in my book. I have a handful of Great Close friends (okay, three) and that's all I need. Any more is just too much work. Do I sound horribly obnoxious?!? I'm just a homebody!

Kate said...

Not obnoxious at all. As I get older my core group of friends gets a teeny bit smaller, but the main group has been together since middle school. We've all gone from being social butterflies to complete homebodies. Not a bad thing at all. Actually, now that I think about it, with people getting married and developing families, the group number seems to even out.

I think you and I are in the same boat, Jaimee!