Summer. Ahh, yes.
I'm cranky because I'm sweating.
And I already can't wait for autumn because I'm sweating and cranky from sweating. Got it?
I'm kidding, mostly, but lately I just can't shake that autumn calling that inevitably rolls around at this time of year, every year. I feel so drawn to autumn weather, and if I could find a place in this world that hosts autumn weather and autumn characteristics all year round, I'm moving there for sure. As long as there are pumpkins. Lots and lots of them.
What's new with you folks? I've had a few frantic e-mails fall in here and there wondering where I am and when I'm planning on updating the blog. I was just explaining to Randi that as much as I hate to ramble on forever about the shop, I feel as though that's all there is to talk about...especially seeing as how I pretty much live there now. I don't want this blog to be all about the shop, despite the fact that it's one of the most important aspects of my life right now. To put it simply, I don't want to bore anyone. Are you bored? Please be honest...you won't hurt my feelings, I promise you.
Alas, despite my hesitation to keep my comments about the shop to a minimum, that's all I have to talk about today. See what I mean? The last Troy Night Out went well, although we didn't see the number of sales we had anticipated. Every shop at the opposite end of the street scored record sales that night, but someone invited a full band to play out on the sidewalk right in front of the businesses here and they were so unbelievably loud that people were afraid to cross the street and enter the shops here. It was awful and I really hope it doesn't happen again. Fingers crossed. I hate to be a stick in the mud, but I can't afford to lose sales. That said, even though TNO's sales were on the lighter side, we're getting quite the rush of people in lately and sales overall are amazing! I don't want to jinx anything, but I'm so grateful it's unreal.
On the brighter side of TNO, my dips seemed to be a huge hit! I had a tremendous number of people casually recommend that I open a catering business, or at least sell my dips in the shop, so now I have to contact my insurance company and see if this is going to be a problem. I hope not. While I really don't need another thing to add to my list of work, this would/could be a really decent money maker. I think I'll choose three dips a month to serve at Troy Night Out, and have those dips for sale for anyone who may be interested. We shall see how they do.
Hmmmm, let's see...what else is going on here:
* The entire supply of local honey I bought a month ago is GONE! Diana, this stuff is a huge hit here! Thanks for recommending Russ! My mom, Mike, Sandy and I are making the long trek up to Argyle to restock on Monday.
* I'm so incredibly excited for our next gallery show. Caroline Corrigan and Emily Armstrong are teaming up with some of their work at the end of this month and it looks like they're as excited about it as I am. They've made up some really nice hand-screened posters to advertise the show. I've had the chance to see some of their paintings in person and they're great. Caroline has a painting of a girl eating a hamburger and I just have to have it.
* After reading this post, I'm thinking of making some homemade deodorant of my own. I've been on the hunt for some time now looking for natural deodorant sans aluminum, and it's harder than you might imagine. The products I've tried leave me with a horrific rash and I just don't trust the armpit stone. If her recipe works as well as I think it might, I'll let you know and we can all make some.
* We're finally ready to book knitting and crochet classes at the shop so I'll be putting together a mailer to send out early next week. If you live in the area and want to attend a class, stop in and sign the mailing list, or drop me an e-mail and we'll sign you up!
* A belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Maggie! I didn't forget about you this year, woman, but I wasn't able to wish you one in a timely manner. I apologize. Hope you had a great time!
* Bachmann is heading out on tour again, this time with Crooked Fingers. Guess who he's touring with? Okkervil River! One of my faves. I think the closest they're coming here is Northhampton, Mass., which is a hop skip and a jump from here. The show falls just a few days before my birthday. Anyone want to take me? I'm in trouuuuuuuublllllllllle!