Tuesday, January 22, 2008

I don't like Country music

"I don't think they're all that sad. I have a few that aren't sad, they're, like...hopeless, or about a totally hopeless situation. The rest aren't sad, they're just the way it goes, kinda. You don't think life is sad? But from recognizing the sadness you can put it aside and be happy and enjoy the happy side of life."

- Townes VanZandt

I've been submerged in Townes VanZandt lately. Every so often I get the urge to listen to him, usually while working in my studio and then it just doesn't stop. And then the Be Here To Love Me DVD comes down from the shelf and I watch it a few times and I think I go through a bit of a mourning period. Weird.

His quote above is in reaction to an interview question about why his songs are so sad. Townes' response couldn't be more perfect or more accurate. His songs are simply beautiful, as long as you're willing to peel back and scrub off the pain to get to the pretty part.

2 comments:

david santos said...

Hi Kate
A beautiful place here!
Excellent post! Nice photo.
Thank you.
have a good day

Kate said...

Thanks!