Thursday, November 13, 2008

2 things...

Two things on my mind this morning that I wanted to mention:

1) If you're a local artist and feel like donating to/supporting a good cause, consider heading over to the Lark Tavern in Albany on Tuesday night. SUNY Albany is sending a group of students from the School of Social Welfare to New Orleans to help Habitat for Humanity build new homes for those people still without a place to live after Hurricane Katrina. The students in this group are trying to raise money for food, lodging and transportation as the school is giving them limited funds for this trip. Therefore, students are putting together an art auction to raise enough money to support themselves. If you're an artist or crafter who would like to contribute something to the cause, let me know and I'll put you in contact with the person I've been in touch with. If you'd like to simply go out and support the cause, head on over to the Lark Tavern on Madison Avenue in Albany on Tuesday night at 9pm. Many, many thanks to those of you who have already contributed. I sent a group package out today, but there's still time to donate if you're interested. Thanks!
2) Don't forget about the rally against Proposition 8 in Albany (and wherever you live, too! Go here to find out where) on Saturday afternoon. I'll be meeting up with friends there, but if you'd like to join us let me know. I've got plenty of room if you need a ride. The rally starts at 1:30.

Thanks so much, and now I'll step down from my soapbox.

2 comments:

Bronwyn said...

it's a good soapbox, don't step down! keep letting us know what we can do. as an artist, too often i feel that my work is superfluous to the common good. it's important to remember that we have the power to COMMUNICATE and to MOVE AND MOBILIZE with our work ... thanks for supporting these really important issues of human rights, compassion, and survival.

Kate said...

Thanks, Bronwyn! I appreciate that.