Tuesday, November 25, 2008

food stuffs

So, can the average Joe find caraway seeds at an everyday grocery store?

I'm closing the shop early tomorrow in order to get to the market, buy what I need for Thanksgiving and Troy Night Out, and then get home to make the vittles. But I need caraway seeds. Think I'll be able to find them? If not I need to change my side dish lineup because I'd rather die than go market-hopping on the day before Thanksgiving.

What are you making for Thanksgiving this year?

This family takes the pot luck route and I couldn't be happier about it. Everyone pretty much makes the same stuff every year but I like to mix it up a bit and change things around. This year I'll be making the following:

Carrots and Parsnips with Caraway-Cider Glaze
I read about this in the November(?) issue of Country Home magazine and volunteered to make it this year for the family. If I can't find caraway seeds, I'll be making Barefoot Contessa's recipe for roasted carrots and parsnips.

Roasted Cauliflower
I'm not all that familiar with Dave Lieberman or his recipes but I gave this one a shot a few years ago and everyone LOVED it. I've been asked to bring it to every Thanksgiving dinner after that, so it's now a staple, I guess. Even the non-veggie people liked this, and that's saying something. It's more of a steamed cauliflower than roasted, though. Just thought I'd put that out there in case you have issues with mushy veg.

Rutabagas with Caramelized Onions
The only time a rutabaga enters my house is a day or two before Thanksgiving every year and I really don't know why. They're delicious, and so incredibly versatile and yet I never even think about them until Novemberish. My grandfather insists that I make rutabagas for him every year and only a few people eat them. I'll be making a small dish this year. We've done the mashed, we've done the casserole, we've considered the gratin. It's all about the roasting this year, kids.

Caramelized Onion Dip
Of-freaking-course, because I'm not allowed at any family function without this damn dip. You think I'm kidding? I'm not. This stuff makes people mean.

Anyway, I'm curious to hear what you're making. Anything especially daring?

And just because I feel like throwing you a totally random addition to this post, I give you this because, well, it'll bring you sweet dreams tonight. I guarantee it.

2 comments:

Good Girls Studio said...

yummmo! We're having duck with cherry gravy, pollenta & brussell sprouts something or other & pumpkin cake & chocolate ganache! I have heart burn just thinking about it!

Kate said...

Wow, Jo, that sounds amazing! I've never had cherry gravy before. Recipe?