Friday, February 13, 2009

spring. sprang. sprung.

Have you had the chance to look through the newest issue of Martha Stewart Living? Yes indeed, the March issue is out. That's when I know that Spring is just right around the corner. Don't get me wrong...I've noticed little hints of the new season popping up all over. Temperatures here were close to the 60s over the past few days. The light shining through my windows is much brighter and livelier than the dull grey light of winter. I woke up this morning and looked out the window and a tiny little robin was perched next to the remains of the dingy snow, digging up worms. And I'm sure we've all noticed that 4:30, 5:00 and now even 5:30 at night comes and goes and there is still a little daylight remaining before everything goes dark. These are all good signs that warmer weather and longer days are coming soon.

The newest issue of Martha arrived in the mail yesterday, stuffed tightly into the mailbox next to countless seed and bulb catalogs. I've been slowly and carefully browsing through it this morning. It is, quite possibly, her most beautiful issue yet. The entire magazine is devoted to gardening, or at least the beginnings of gardening season. It got me thinking about my own little garden. Since we bought our house a few years back, we've planted things here and there, but mostly it is a work in progress. When I worked for Verizon, several of my coworkers, seasoned gardeners themselves, used to bring in cuttings, bulbs, seedlings and shoots to share with me, and I admire their new growth every year since they were planted.

Nabua, knowing full well about my obsession with Columbine, brought me some uprooted wild Columbine three years ago and it has since gone from a single plant to gigantic clusters of red spiky beauty. Another friend, knowing full well about my insane love for lilacs, gave me a small shoot from her gorgeous bush and it has given me flowers since it was planted. It gets a little bigger each year, strong and resilient. Nothing can compare to the smell of those flowers. Upstate New York is known for its prolific lilac population...it seems everywhere you go you can find them in full bloom in the spring. And I can't wait.

This year I'll be trying my hand at a full herb garden. I've grown herbs in the past with decent success, but I think I might give it another shot this time around. Eating healthy food is really one of the only resolutions I made in late December that I've actually stuck with, and there's nothing quite like taking a few short steps into your own backyard to harvest the ingredients for your meal. Besides, I cook with fresh herbs constantly, so I think some basil, chives, cilantro, tarragon, thyme (lots and lots of thyme of all varieties), rosemary, and maybe even some oregano would work well along side my perennials and veggies.

Anyway, I feel like I'm in a daze today, dreaming about spring. The smells. Clean rain. Fresh air. New growth. Green as far as the eye can see. The return of birds. Open windows and silky sheer curtains billowing in the breeze. Lighter layers. Bare feet. Crocuses. Digging toes and fingers into the cold soil. Relaxing while spending time outside.

What are you planting this year?

1 comment:

Kim said...

yes i got my new martha issue! im excited to make the irish soda bread!