Tuesday, September 15, 2009

R.I.P.

You know, I never considered myself to be much of a Patrick Swayze fan and I don't know why.

He was the kind of actor who basically blended in throughout most of his career despite being completely submerged in a Hollywood world of ego, attitude and arrogance. I respect that a lot and I admire anyone who can keep their feet firmly planted on the ground while everyone else floats around in la-la land. Still, if you asked me who my favorite actors are, Patrick wouldn't have been on that list. I can't figure out why. It seems as though he was well liked and well respected, and I'll admit that my heart took a little dive last night when I heard of his passing.

This morning I took a peek at the IMDB database and ran a little search on his name. I was pleasantly surprised to find that he starred in several movies I liked (Red Dawn, The Outsiders, To Wong Foo Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar, and City of Joy), and a few of my very favorites (Donnie Darko and 11:14...if you haven't seen 11:14, check it out...surprisingly good!). Good to know his name didn't rest entirely on Road House, Ghost and Dirty Dancing.
And, now I guess I can say that I was a fan all along.

So, rest in peace, Patrick Swayze. If there's an afterlife, I've decided to track you down and challenge you to a remake of the dance scene at the end of Dirty Dancing. It's on.

1 comment:

Good Girls Studio said...

His passing is making me mourn my youth...Dirty Dancing is big memory when I was young. My girlfriend & I would reenact the dances (yes, I was a dork like that!) & her mom would always rush in & forward through the kissing scenes :)