Wednesday, October 7, 2009

(not so) Empty Bowls

Did you attend the Empty Bowls extravaganza this year? Such a great time. I've heard of a few kinks that will hopefully be worked out before the event rolls around next year (my parents couldn't get in due to a lack of handicap parking, for one), but overall I'd say it was a success. I can't imagine the time and energy that went into something so wonderful. Ben, Dave, Kate and I all enjoyed ourselves and I'm pretty sure that between everyone in our little group, we tried a bit of everything. I tend to stay away from the brothier soups (Pasta e Fagioli, Italian Wedding and Beef Barley), but Dave's a fan and he liked the ones he tried.

There were about fifteen different soup choices, and that was the easy part because when you first walked into the Italian Community Center, you had over 4,000 bowls to choose from. Yikes! We found our bowls right away, thankfully. Or maybe I should say that our bowls found us. I once had a potter tell me that pottery pieces choose you, not the other way around. Interesting.

How cute is the little thumb rest on my bowl???

Anyway, I'd say my favorite soup for the day was the Broccoli Smoked Gouda by Chef Jackie Baldwin and in a close second place (if not tied for first) was local Polish restaurant Muza's Red Beet Soup. Holy hell that was amazing! Other favorites were:

The Ale House's Caribbean Black Bean (served with sour cream and fresh cilantro)
Flavour Cafe's Creamy Tomato Basil
and Brown's Brewing Company's Roasted Red Pepper Bisque.

I also really, really enjoyed the Pumpkin soup with Ancho Chiles and Honey, too, but I can't for the life of me remember where the soup came from. The little brochure we received at the door doesn't have it listed. That's too bad. I'd love to have more.

If you missed out this year, be sure to give it a shot next year. It's an amazing charity with a great concept, and I can't think of a better way to spend a chilly October afternoon than chowing on soup and helping those in need. Bring your eatin' pants for sure! Yum.

2 comments:

Albany Jane said...

I love the rest! It's perfect for soup slurpers. I meant to do this, I really did... I'm glad it was so much fun - it really motivates me to do it next year!

Kate said...

Me too, Albany Jane! You should definitely remember to do it next year. It's well worth the ten bucks. Also, if you haven't before, you should try out A Taste of Troy in the spring. Same deal as Empty Bowls, but they give you much more than soup. I think it costs a little more, but you eat like royalty and get the opportunity to try out different Troy restaurants.