Friday, July 23, 2010

big softy

I have a soft spot for teacher movies and documentaries. You know, Dead Poets Society, Mr. Holland's Opus, Lean on Me, etc. A big part of me wanted to be a teacher from the time I was old enough to even consider such things (Laura Ingalls Wilder had a lot to do with that), until I was a junior in college. I finally switched majors once concerns of not knowing enough about art myself to teach it to other people plagued me on a daily basis. I went through with a very long student teaching process and enjoyed it, but it just didn't feel right and I never went back. I don't consider it to be a regret at all, but sometimes I wonder what life would be like now had I stayed on the same path. Anyway, yeah, teacher movies.

I just spent the last two hours watching this documentary and it was fantastic. If you're interested in this sort of thing, I must say that it was one of the better movies I've seen in a while, and I even shed a few tears at the end. Imagine that.

1 comment:

Single In NJ said...

Just watched this... what a great story. I was really pulling for Fatoumata.