Wednesday, April 22, 2009

I'm baaaaack!



Ithaca was such a treat. Such a sweet little town! My mom and dad took me there as a kid and they both claim I loved it back then. I was hesitant to believe it because, well, what the hell can one possibly do in Ithaca, NY? Lots, apparently. Our hotel was located within a few hundred feet from Ithaca Commons, an outdoor shopping center, and this place was loaded with little independant businesses. Tons of handmade goodies and locally made products. I fell in love.

After a shopping binge and lunch at an amazing restaurant (with great service!), we headed back to the hotel for some rest and then got ready to head out to the State Theater of Ithaca to see Mr. Bachmann and the rest of Crooked Fingers play. Amazing set! Lots of older stuff with a few favorites thrown in for good measure, and newer stuff done up in new ways. Great times. no cameras, though. They were literally yelling at people outside of the theater to leave their cameras/cell phones with cameras outside. Right. And stupidly, I didn't take a single picture while walking around either. The weather was crappy and it just never occured to me. Guess that's why I'd never make a good photographer or a better blogger.

The State Theater was a beautiful place. It reminded me a lot of The Palace in Albany, for those of you who live in these parts. I checked out a listing of their past shows and it seems like they pull in a lot of amazing acts. Actually, the Felice Brothers were scheduled to appear last night. Should have planned that trip out a bit better. Mr. B on Monday, Felices on Tuesday. What could be better than that?

Anyway, while watching Crooked Fingers play for the umpteen-millionth time on Monday night, it dawned on me that I've been a fan of Eric Bachmann's (and his various ventures) for 15 years now. I knew it was a long time, but I never realized it's been that long. Now I know why people are surprised when I tell them I'm going to see him...again. Although, if it's really been that long, people shouldn't be surprised, I guess. It's one of the few simple pleasures in this life of mine that make me truly happy.

1 comment:

LK- Healthy Delicious said...

I love Ithaca too. Theres just something about the whole vibe of the town... ts awesome.