Sunday, April 27, 2008

May I have your attention please...

Introducing, The Paper Sparrow:


Oh man, guys...what a wild ride this has been. If any of you ever consider opening your own shop, I strongly and quite highly recommend it, BUT I will say that it is SO much work. Many people tried to warn me about the amount of work that goes into something like this and I really underestimated it right up until the day my shop opened. But let's put all of that aside, shall we? We opened our doors on Friday night at 5:00. Why the strange time selection, you might ask. Well, on the last Friday of every month, the city of Troy hosts an evening called Troy Night Out where all the local businesses and restaurants stay open late and various events go on all over the place (live music, fun for kids, street performers, etc.). Fate dealt me some gorgeous weather, some of the nicest we've had in a long time, actually, and everyone was out walking around. There was not a single point in time where we didn't have a huge line through the store of people waiting to buy something. I'm actually at the point where I need to order more inventory already before the shop starts looking empty. Amazing. I had the opportunity to meet so many people and make so many more contacts. I received an amazing amount of feedback and it looks like I may have made a name for myself in this little community already, or so it seems.

I do want to stop here for a second, though, and thank every single person who helped me out with this whole thing. I've had so many helpers in every sense of the word and I know it's cliche to say this, but I really couldn't have done it without you. You helped me paint, hang wallpaper, assemble furniture, clean floors, walls and counter tops. You helped me find just the right place for every item. You brought food for the opening, helped make a million and one price tags, and ran errands for me. You stood behind the register ALL NIGHT LONG and waited on each and every customer. You've provided financial advice and a shoulder to cry (or bitch) on. You've offered your guidance and support, even when things in your own life were crazy and out of control. You not only provided last minute artwork to help me fill in the blank spots on my walls, but you hung that artwork for me and made everything look amazing. You carted my ass around when I didn't want to lose my decent parking spot. Guys, this list goes on and on. You all know who you are. Whether you live close by and you helped with the grunt work, or you live all the way around the planet and you provided an amazing product for me to sell in the shop, or offered kind words via this blog or e-mail, you all helped to make this happen. Thank you. I really, really couldn't have done it without you.

Some of you will be hearing from me soon with a new request for merchandise. Some of your things literally flew off the shelves and out of the jewelry cases, and I'm going to need to buy more. I promise to try to be a better, more regular blogger again, now that things have quieted down (or maybe not, Saturdays sales were great, too). For today, though, I'm going to take my very first day off in a very long time and enjoy the silence.

15 comments:

Murray said...

Yippee!! Looks like a HUGE much deserved success. I can't imagine how exhausted you must be, go put your feet up and give Olive a snuggle. Tomorrow morning will be here before you know it!

Good Girls Studio said...

The store looks fabulous! Oh how I wish I could have been there with you :) So excited for you & your new venture! Let me know if you need anything sweets.

**big hugs**
Johanna

Anonymous said...

Many congrats!! The store looks great and I'm thrilled to be involved :)

Single In NJ said...

Kate
it looks AMAZING!!! I was scanning the pictures for our product. I hope they made it to the grand opening!
-Amanda

Jaimee McClellan said...

The shop looks fantastic! I especially like your "framed gallery nook"! Congrats on the Grand Opening and quick rise to success.

Kate said...

Thanks so much, everyone!

Amanda, yes, everything I purchased went into the shop for the opening. Thanks!

Kimberly Monaco said...

WOW!! What a transformation! It looks simply amazing... you should be very proud!! I'm so glad your opening day was so successful - congratulations!! YAY YOU!!

lesley said...

Oh! Congratulations... the shop looks beautiful!!

Banana-head Pancake said...

SO WONDERFUL!
Much deserved success - I'm sure it will only continue to grow & flourish.
Enjoy your night of rest & congratulations!!!

Anonymous said...

This is only the beginning...*)

LazyTcrochet said...

I would so love to have my own boutique. Your shop is amazing and it's no wonder your opening went so well! Congratulations!

katelynjane said...

Yay!! Congrats!! It looks amazing! All your hard work really paid off and I'm so pleased you had such a great opening night!

Kim said...

So glad to see the finished product and that it was a huge success!!! Congratulations! I really wish I could come and visit you.

Scott Bulger Photography said...

Great looking store. Best of luck with it.

Anonymous said...

OMG! Congratulations! The store looks FABULOUS! I soooo wish I could visit. I gave a little shout of joy to see my plush on your shelves. A REAL LIVE STORE HAS MY STUFF!