Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Simple pleasures


With the craziness of the shop opening over and done with (for now, anyway...we still have yet to host the ribbon cutting/Grand Opening gala), I've been enjoying the break tremendously. I finally brought my sewing machine down to the store and have been working on various handbags and pinafores. I had over 40 handbags for sale before Friday night and after I closed my doors at 9pm, I had less than half of them left. Time to restock!!! The little children's pinafores I've been working on sold like hotcakes, too, so I'm working on replenishing those as well. Good times.

I never realized how much I'd miss simply sitting down with my little machine and cranking out loads of goodies. I promise to have pictures of my newest creations when/if I ever remember to bring my camera down to the shop.



Coming home after work while we still have daylight has been wonderful. I've decided to read the entire Little House on the Prairie series all over again...yes AGAIN! To this day I'm amazed at how long I've held this memoir close to my heart. I was introduced to the stories by my mother at a very young age. I gobbled each and every book up and memorized each and every episode of the television version (it was awful, I know). If you're ever down for the challenge, I'm always ready for a nice, healthy game of Little House trivia. I've never been beaten. Ha! Anyway, I find myself getting lost in the books all over again and I'm loving every minute of it. Very comforting.


I came home today to find another small pleasure...shoes! I'm not a shoe whore by any means, but I've been in the market for a nice pair of comfy shoes to wear when I'm on my feet all day at the shop. I've had my eye on a pair of Keen's for some time now and finally splurged and bought not one, but two pair. These are the Calistoga model and they're so unbelievably comfy. Go right on out and buy yourself a pair or two.

How are things in your neck of the woods? Anyone whipping up anything crafty? I can't stop drooling over these, and I'm dying to see what she's working on over there with the camera.
***
Oh, and P.S., I will send a secret surprise to the person who can teach me how to sew in a zipper. I've tried every online tutorial, book and video known to man and still can't for the life of me figure it out. Do you have any tips for me? Pretty please? I have a zipper foot and plenty of willingness to learn. What else is there?

11 comments:

Murray said...

I'm so excited to read the Little House books with my daughter when she's a bit bigger (confession: I've never read them!).

Zippers huh? They are a pain. I'll send you an email with a couple pointers, take a gander at the Lazy Girl patterns, I think they have some good tips. At least, that's how I learned a few years back. Good luck!

Good Girls Studio said...

I watched little house on the prairie every sunday night growing up...remember Manly??? *swoon* :)

Kate said...

Manly was scrumptious. Remember when Mrs. Oleson kept calling him Zaldamo? That rocked.

Good Girls Studio said...

what does zaldamo mean??? Are you on a first name basis with all the characters or just the cute ones :)

Kate said...

She kept screwing his name up and constantly called him Zaldamo instead of Almanzo (Almanzo was his real name, but Laura called him Manly).

Good Girls Studio said...

thanks for clearing that up :) always wondered why his name was Manly. I need a life!

Scott Bulger Photography said...

I dig the ink on the top of your feet. Nice.

Kate said...

Jo, you make me laugh.

Thanks, Scott! I'm running out of places to put them.

Sarah said...

keens rock! i have 3 pair myself. and yeah, i was a big little house fan growing up.

Jes said...

Wow, your store looks AMAZING! Why didn't I know it was open? Glad things are going well! Write me and tell me more sometime. If you need some purses to restock with I'm' MORE than happy to help you out with that. :-)

Julie said...

You are one cool chick! Love your shoes, your tatoos, the fact that you can sew, and you have your own shop...and you love LHOTP, AND succulents! You are like all good things rolled into one! This is coming from someone old enough to be your mother! Are you single?...I have one single son left!...age 30...just moving to Houston! LOLOL. Come over and see my blog...I have succulent tire gardens!