Wednesday, March 18, 2009

colors of now

While others have fallen through my fingers, some of my new year's resolutions are still intact. The biggest one is healthy eating. We, as a household, have been keeping focused on fresh, locally grown foods and trying our best to balance our meals as best we can. We've ditched the take-out menus (actually, I can't remember the last time we ordered out...the folks at the pizza and Chinese places must think we've gone and died or something) and cook at home instead. It saves us a ton of money, which is good because we're both shedding the pounds and we'll need that money to buy new clothes. Ben's been helping out in the kitchen quite a bit and it brings me such joy. I love sharing the responsibilities of the culinary world, not because I don't want to do it myself, but because I think sitting down to a meal that we've both added our own touches to just makes everything all the more worthwhile.

One thing we've been really loving lately is fresh fish. Unfortunately, fish is the only meat out there we can't get at our local farmer's market. Why is that, I wonder. Is this a common thing with farmers markets, or is it just an issue we're having here? Who knows. I've eaten plenty of fish in my day, but preparing it is another story. Stressing out over proper cooking temperatures, times and conditions isn't something I necessarily want to deal with, so we just wing it. I don't know about you, but I love fish cooked on the grill. Slap some tuna steaks down on those hot racks and you've got pure gold waiting to be consumed. Last night we indulged in fresh Mahi-Mahi steamed in a nice foil packet and garnished with peppers, onions, garlic, tomatoes and basic spices. No butter. No oil. Just pure deliciousness. And hey, no dishes to wash!!! Steam and saute up some nice zucchini and onions, and a pot of purple cauliflower served on the side and you've got a meal fit for a king.

The ease of doing this ourselves, combined with the lack of a mountain of dishes, means we've got time to do what we love to do, rather than rotting in a food coma after a trough of Lo Mein. Ben's spending his spare time working on a drawing for my avatar in the new Etsy shop and I'm keeping busy making inventory. Soon enough, I'll be open for business.

Have any pointers for me? The crazy Etsy world is a big place, I know.

Oh, and if you have any good recipes or suggestions for healthy eating, I'm all ears! We're enjoying this more than I thought.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

yum! I think the lack of fish here has to do with the lack of a real port. I certainly don't want to eat anything out of the Hudson, so there probably aren't a ton of local fishers? Just my guess, I could be totally wrong and there could be a ton of fishers.

I know nothing about etsy.

And you can visit my blog for recipes (although they haven't all been as healthy as I would like them to be lately... Also I swear I read your blog every day. This comment isn't just a plug for mine- lol)

Kate said...

Well hello there, Healthy! Nice to meet you! You made a good point about the lack of port, and I wouldn't want to eat anything out of the Hudson either. Still, there are lots of folks who make the trek down from the north each weekend to sell at the market and I know there's a lot of fishing (ice fishing in the winter, too) going on up there. Maybe it's a pain in the butt to transport or something. Bummer. I'll stick with the fish monger, I guess.

I'm heading over to your blog now!

Good Girls Studio said...

I wish I was motivated to cook like that! I am when I have a significant other (& by other I mean other than the boy!)!

The earrings look yummy! My only helpful suggestion with the shop is just to be artistic with the photography & also make sure you have at least 1 pic where you can see the whole piece in it's entirety. You'll do great for sure :)

I was hoping for a package in the mail from you...but alas...none ;)

you know I'm just giving you a hard time because I have time to kill :) Love me some Kate!

Kate said...

Oh, it's so easy, though. No mess and fail-proof! Give it a shot!

And thanks for the Etsy pointers. The whole "full shot" idea is perfect! I can't tell you how many times I've seen beautiful macro shots of earrings or something, but no shots of the entire earring itself. Makes me go from being a potential buyer to not at all.

And, as I'm sure you've probably guessed, I still haven't mailed the package out yet. I'm sorry. I suck.