Friday, August 1, 2008

Green sweater


I've been writing a letter in my head to my winter wardrobe.

I'm getting sick of waiting for fall. Patience is not my strong suit.

I've grown so tired of clothing that's supposedly appropriate for this time of year. If I wear anything I'm comfortable in people stop and balk at my attire. I can see where someone wearing long sleeves over two other shirt layers and long pants in the middle of a 98 degree day might seem a bit, uh, bonkers, but hey. I'm one step ahead of everyone. My winter wardrobe never goes into storage. It might get pushed back a bit in the closet, but it's always there, ready and waiting for that moment when I may get chilly in....July. Right.

What people don't seem to understand is that these particular articles fulfill my need for comfort. I'm not the kind of person who is comfortable in their body. Heavier clothing helps a little. My matronly upper arms never look okay, I know, but snuggled up and hidden under a wool sweater, well, I can deal with that. They hide all the horrific parts of my body that I find so hard to forget about. What other piece of clothing provides a nice hug like a warm sweater? I've taken to wearing skirts from time to time this summer and I almost feel like I owe complete strangers an apology for exposing them to the whiteness of my legs. It's bad. I don't do sun and I certainly don't tan (hell, I barely do the outdoor thing). I look like the damn Pillsbury Doughboy. And besides, the yarn sales at the local craft stores are making it harder and harder to resist whipping up a new scarf or ten to match my favoritest of winter clothing.

So, yes, as I'm sure you've figured out, I have self-loathing issues. What else is new?

Someone in Michael's the other day commented on the weather and actually called it "pleasant". She went on to say that she thinks this bullshit summer weather might stick around until November. Say it isn't so! Sweat + sunburn does not = hot. I long to pull my ten (plus) year old sweaters over my head and pull the turtlenecks up over my nose. Comfort is key, my friends, and sweating is anything but comfortable. Needless to say, I could never live in the south.

Anyway, this post was all about ranting. I don't feel sorry for myself, not one bit. I know any optimist would say that I need to learn to love myself and be a happier person, but that's just not me. And I'm okay with that. I just like to take one day at a time and deal with it as best as I can. I just prefer to do it in wool.

Anyone else sick of summer?

2 comments:

Mare said...

I can't say i am sick of Summer, but i am looking forward to the Fall-one of my favorite times of year (the other is Spring)You get your whiteness from me. The first time our Seth (my grandson and Kate's nephew)saw my legs uncovered in a skort, he said "Oh! Mellon!(thats what he calls me)What happened to your legs!!??" I think the stark day glow whiteness and the dark varicose veins really damaged him! ;)

Good Girls Studio said...

can we just boycott the rest of the summer!?! Bring on Winter, hell, forget fall...I want snow & sweaters & knitted scarves by Kate! :)

PS: Sunless tanning lotion rocks my face off! Jo + sun = burnt white!