Friday, February 5, 2010

grateful

Just wanted to post a little update about what's going on here. Bepa's still in the hospital and we've been given both good and bad news in the past few days. The good news is that despite the congestive heart failure (which we already knew about), his heart, lungs and kidneys are in better-than-average working order. He did not have a heart attack and they can't find a single reason why he was suffering through such intense chest pains. They're currently chalking it up to the (still) healing incision from his last bypass surgery. I haven't figured out if this makes any sense at all (my brain is totally fried), but I keep reminding myself that they're the professionals, not me. The bad news is that his blood pressure is still sky high and the drugs aren't helping to bring it back down. Sooooo, he's still there. His spirits have been high up until now, but he's starting to get really annoyed by the fact that they keep telling him he can go home the next day and it hasn't happened. If you're a doctor or a nurse, please, please, PLEASE stop doing this to your patients. I know you mean well and all, but if you get a patient's hopes up and then you continue to let them down when you can't follow through, this does nothing more than kill a positive attitude. I can't imagine that this does anything good for the healing process.

Anyway, we've had a few other pretty major scares lately and I can't help but feel incredibly grateful for the health of my family, my friends and the families of everyone I know. Even though things haven't been the greatest around here, at least everyone is still alive. That's all that really matters anyway. You never realize how much you take things like health for granted until someone falls ill or gets the scare of a lifetime. I'm glad that you're all still around. Really glad.

5 comments:

Modernsnap ! said...

great to hear that he is well for the most part at least! I really do hate doctors and nurses so I'm not much help in that area, i think they are mean, detached and non-caring people for the most part. I can totally relate to your gratefulness however and am so glad your positive energy has made it all the way to my computer! Take Care!

Kate said...

Thanks so much!

Unknown said...

i think that is a pretty cruel generalization, albeit reduced in harshness by "for the most part". people in the healthcare field, especially nurses, deal with ridiculous things all the time and, coming from someone that has put on a "visitor" sticker more than most, i have met, for the most part, amazing ones.

glad everything is fine!

Kate said...

Thanks for your input, Raya. Hope you weren't insulted by my post, but this is something we've dealt with for years now. Every time he goes into the hospital (more times than I care to mention), he's told every day that he can go home tomorrow and when tomorrow comes along, he's denied. Very frustrating! I just wish they wouldn't comment until they know for sure!

Unknown said...

no offense at all. completely agree. practical estimation and concern for patient hopes is tricky but should be its own class in med school!