Monday, March 31, 2008

And so it begins...

Believe it or not, I was unable to find anyone to take my rent check from me today. I know it's a day early, but the old landlord didn't want it and the new landlord was nowhere to be found. Hmmmm. Makes me wonder if I'm going to have to stalk someone tomorrow. Highly unlikely.

I finally have some photos to show you guys of the raw space now that the work is done (err, almost done). It's lovely, really, and I can't wait to see what it looks like with paint and paper on the walls and all of my things moved in there. So cool. The rear wall was put back into place at my request, but it looks like they moved it a bit closer to the front of the store which makes me insanely happy. That back room was small, but just big enough to have classes and gallery space. Now it's the tiniest bit bigger and much more comfortable, and I'll be able to host lots of people back there to view the work and chow down on food. Looks perfect.

I'll be sure to update the blog as the work comes along more and more, but for now I just wanted to share the shots that I have. Hope you're not too bored!


Facing the front of the shop and looking left. This entire block is called The Market Block and it houses several retail shops, a coffee shop, and a photography studio.



Facing the front of the store and looking right. The first store on the left in this shot is my space.


When you walk in the front door, this back wall faces you. The doorway on the right is the entrance to the back room where I'll offer classes and gallery space to local artists.


From the front door looking left. The recessed wall used to house two small dressing rooms, which I didn't need. This little nook will now feature the children's section of the store, I think. The door is just the entrance to the basement, which I'm allowed to use for storage.


Against the back wall looking to the front of the store. Don't you love the windows? I love all of that natural light! The window space is the last part of the shop that still needs work from the landlord. They're going to carpet the entire elevated area and install floor lighting. I hate carpet, but at this point I just want this DONE!


The lighting fixtures I waited several months for. The landlord insisted these go in the space and I didn't understand why until I saw them. They're so nice and they let in a TON of light when they're turned on.


I haven't decided on what to do with the duct work yet. The tin ceilings are staying white, but the ducts, well, I'm open for suggestions.



The back room. Take about two feet off of the width of this space and that's what I was planning to work with before the wall position was adjusted. Not too bad, eh? It's hard to tell in this shot, but you could put tables all over back here and still have plenty of room to move around. I'm very pleased.

So what do you think? Comments? Suggestions?

9 comments:

beki said...

What a wonderful space! I can't wait to see what you do with it.

Murray said...

Seriously great. I will have to plan a trip for sure now. You must be thrilled, and I agree with Beki; I can't wait to see what you do!!

Kim said...

Yipee! What a fantastic storefront! I just love the possibilities there! Your front windows are nice because you can actually use them...mine are enclosed and huge so they only serve as display. Have fun!

Jaimee McClellan said...

Wow, a fresh palette! How exciting. I love the celing and especially those light fixtures...they remind me of the little book shop in YOU'VE GOT MAIL...I soooo want a shop like that! Some day. For now, I'll have to live vicariously through you :)

katelynjane said...

Wow! This is so great!! You must be SO thrilled to finally have a space of your own like this. Wow! I love the ducting showing like it is. It doesn't look bad at all! And those light fixtures are really funky!

Can't wait to see it all when it's set up!

Kate said...

YAY! It's so nice to have other people as excited as I am about this whole thing! Thanks for the support!

lesley said...

The space looks amazing! I am so jealous... :)

Unknown said...

I'm so so so excited for you!!!! Its looking so amazing and I can't wait to see its progress!!!

Lisa M. Dalton said...

Congrats on the brick and mortar! You gave me a heart over at etsy and I came over to see what a silly face would be up to. YEAH for you!

What kind of things are you going to be selling at your shop?