Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Dear Pesto,

How I love thee! You made me look like a culinary heroine last night when I made my newly famous Roasted Asparagus and Garlic Pesto Pizza! Thank you from the very bottom of my heart...and my gut.

Love,

Kate

Seriously, guys. If you have the ability to get yourself some Buddhapesto, get some. Hell, buy it in bulk. This is not for the faint of heart! Plus, I love the story behind this family's success. They're really sweet people.

Oh, and if you're interested in making this delicious pizza masterpiece, follow my recipe below. This is not an exact recipe. Just wing it and go with what you like. Some people like lots of garlic, some don't. Some like more pepper, some don't. Just do what'cha like!

For the roasted asparagus:

1 bunch of fresh asparagus (washed and rough ends cut off)
Olive Oil
Minced Garlic (lately I'm enjoying Japanese garlic from the local garlic man)
Salt and Pepper (to taste)
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder

For the pizza:

Pre-made pizza dough (when I'm not feeling lazy I make my own)
Olive Oil
Fresh Buffalo Mozzarella Cheese, sliced
Pesto (preferably Buddhapesto)
Salt and Pepper (to taste)
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder

Start off by roasting the asparagus. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Put the washed and snipped asparagus on a cookie sheet or roasting pan and toss them around with olive oil (enough to lightly coat), minced garlic (as much or as little as you like), salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder. Roast in the oven until they're cooked through. That time depends on your oven. Mine takes between 25 and 30 minutes. If you like them crunchy or smooshy, adjust the cooking time accordingly, and check the firmness from time to time with a fork.

When the asparagus is done roasting, remove them from the oven and set aside. Spread a ball of pizza dough out on a cookie sheet or pizza stone and brush lightly with olive oil (extra virgin is best, in my opinion). Pop it in the 375 degree oven for about 10-15 minutes until it's toasty. Spread a thin layer of the pesto (a.k.a. green lust) over the crust and top with roasted asparagus and garlic, and then add the sliced mozzarella cheese on top of that. I sprinkle the pepper, salt, onion powder and garlic powder on top of the cheese, but you can put it underneath if that's your sort of thing. Throw that bad boy into the oven and bake until the top of the pizza is browned. I think I left mine for about 15 minutes, but with so much stuff on top I moved it to the bottom rack of the oven to crisp up the bottom of the crust.

This shit is so amazingly good I couldn't believe it. If you try the recipe out, let me know what you think!!!

Oh, and one more thing...I MUST include the following picture, because, admit it, this little man is the most adorable little thing you've ever seen! Until Lola's born, of course! Just kidding.


No comments: